New Fill in Application - Please fill in, print out 2 copies, as data cannot be saved. Mail one to the foundation with required material and keep the other for your records. This form cannot be submitted electronically.
This Application is for students who have not received the Red & Gena Leonard Scholarship in the past. If you are a current recipient of the Leonard Foundation, please complete the Renewal Application.
Qualifications: Applicant must graduate from High School or obtain a GED from one of the following towns: Arlington, Boardman, Echo, Hermiston, Pendleton, Umatilla, Irrigon, Fossil, Condon, Monument, Ukiah, Stanfield, Heppner, Ione, Pilot Rock, or Spray: have a high financial need; average grades; desire to work in a trade; must attend an Oregon college or trade school (unless the training you need is not offered in Oregon).
- All Applications must be typewritten. Applications that cannot be read will not be considered. Put your name, address and social security number on each page.
- Have someone proofread your application and essays for spelling and grammar.
- Double check that all required documents are attached. (See list).
- Applications must be postmarked by March 15. Only applications with written authorization of an extended date will be allowed past the due date.
- Recipients will be notified at High School graduation or by letters. Applicants who are not awarded scholarships will be notified by mail as soon as possible.
READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE APPLICATION. Answer all questions and supply a copy of your transcripts, Student aid Report showing your EFC ( SAR is supplied by the US department of Education after your FAFSA is submitted), list of extracurricular activities, goal essay, and letters of recommendation.
ACTIVITIES: Attach a separate sheet of paper listing any organization, club, sports program, religious activity, work for pay experience, community involvement, or other extracurricular activities. Show dates of involvement, as well as duties preformed and offices held. No longer than one page.
GOALS: Attach a separate sheet of paper explaining: (1) your career and educational goals; (2) how you plan to accomplish these goals; (3) why you should be considered for this scholarship. this essay should be no longer than one page.
TRANSCRIPTS: Failure to provide transcripts invalidates your application with no exceptions. Do not send grade reports or summaries. The safest way to get your transcripts to us on time is to attach them to the application form. Photocopies are accepted - we do not require sealed official envelopes sent by school registrars. If you have a transcript in a sealed envelope, attach it to the application form. To guarantee receipt of all application materials by the required deadline, we strongly urge you to obtain your own copies of the transcripts and send them with the application form. Transcripts that are sent to us separately by the registrars office do not always arrive on time
- Graduating Seniors or High School Graduates who have never attended college: Send transcripts that show courses, grades, cumulative grade point average through the seventh high school semester. It is not necessary to provide transcripts or list the schools for college work completed prior to high school graduation. Examine your transcript to be sure that it includes a fall semester GPA.
- General Education Development (GED) certificate recipients who have not attended college: Send a transcript of GED record, available to Oregon recipients for the Oregon Office of Community colleges, Attention: GED, 255 Capital St. NE, Salem, Or 97310, or call 503-378-8646, ext 369.
- Continuing College Students: Send transcripts or copies of transcripts for each institution where undergraduate work was completed. High school transcripts will not be needed for applications with at least one year of college transcripts. For transcripts from colleges that do not assign letter grades, you must send: (1) high school transcripts displaying courses, grades and cumulative grade point average through graduation; (2) transcripts of all college work.
FAFSA: You must complete the FAFSA ( Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to demonstrate your eligibility for financial assistance. It takes approximately four weeks for the US Department of Education to process the FAFSA form. File the FAFSA as soon after October 1st as possible. You are required to attach a copy of the student aid report (SAR) showing the EFC (Expected family contribution). Applications without the SAR will not be accepted. This is the form you will have received back from the US Department of Education after they receive and process your FAFSA.
NoticeThe “FAFSA processing Infomation Report” or the “SAR Transaction Report” are NOT the correct reports. Please send the complete SAR Report showing your EFC. This report will show all of the information that you submitted to the Deptarment of Education when you completed your FAFSA along with your EFC number.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: Please attach two letters of recommendation from a teacher, clergy, employers, coaches, counselors or other such people. Applications without required letters of recommendation will not be considered.
Completed applications (with attachments) must be postmarked no later than March 15th.
BEFORE YOU MAIL THIS APPLICATION use the following checklist to make sure you have all of the required documents attached. Incomplete applications will not be considered for scholarship. If you have special circumstances that prohibit you from including all paperwork, please call Tracy Gammell, Executive Director, at 541-564-9177.
- Completed application form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Goal Essay (1 page maximum)
- SAR showing EFC
- Activity Sheet
Red & Gena Leonard Foundation
PO BOX 1024
Hermiston, Oregon 97838